(Above image by Andreas Feininger)


In this small corner of cyberspace I seek only to pass on information about the independent shops and businesses that make our cities unique. I'm quite unfamiliar with this scene or that scene, and I won't pretend to offer the scoop on the latest openings or trendiest hotspots. My writing is based solely on my own discoveries, experiences and reflections as I amble through the streets, searching for places to go. But if my readers know of any fine establishments I've overlooked, by all means fill me in, and I'll do my best to check them out.

Because I spend most of my time in either New York or Washington, D.C., my posts may seem heavily skewed towards these two locations. But I'm always looking for excuses to travel, and will try to hit and report on as many cities as possible. Notify me of the must-sees if I'm about to pay your hometown a visit.

- Matt

Feb 7, 2010

The District Java Roundup, Part II



(Sidamo's outdoor patio. Image, and frame, from http://www.sidamocoffeeandtea.com. One of these days I'll start taking my own pictures.)

Second installment in a series. I’ll probably tackle three more after this post, and temporarily wrap it up next time. But I certainly haven’t frequented every coffee shop in the District – I may have missed some well-renowned establishments – so I’m open to further suggestions, and can always resume Java Roundup whenever the opportunity arises. No reason why this can’t be a living document.

Everything mentioned in my introduction to Part I still rings true.

Sidamo Coffee and Tea – 417 H St. NE – Not far from the bridge, and before where the revitalized H Street Corridor really picks up, Sidamo beckons with a modest and fittingly slim façade. Inside looks like any other hip urban daytime joint, but something distinguishes this one from the rest. The fact that it is, to my knowledge, the only Ethiopian-style coffee shop in the District says something. (About Sidamo or the city? I’m not sure.) Coffee drinkers tell me that Ethiopian coffee is tasty coffee, Sidamo is number one on Yelp, and correlation does not imply causation, but we can probably make some connections here.
I last visited on a sweltering summer day (been awhile…) and bought a smoothie, which presumably makes me ill-equipped to provide an adequate review. But after I consume one of the most gratifying smoothies in recent memory, I feel compelled to throw in my two cents. There seemed to be very little seating inside, but I found a spot in the front without a problem. I later found out about a pleasant outdoor area. Décor was modest inside and out, but never lacking.
I need to frequent this shop, and much of H Street in general, far more often than I do. Though I may be late to the game, Sidamo and the neighborhood that houses it appear promising. Hope I haven’t missed much.

M. E. Swing Coffee Roasters – 1702 G St. NW – I’m sure countless State Department officials send their interns here on caffeine errands. This longtime community relic occupies a tight space beneath the Office of Thrift Supervision, on a corner directly opposite the White House portion of Pennsylvania Avenue, making it a prime destination for tourists and government workers alike. A rare nonagenarian business, Swing’s served the Penn Quarter beginning in 1916, bounced around the neighborhood in the latter part of last century, and appropriately wound up as close to the city’s symbolic heart as possible.
Most customers, I would wager, carry their beverages out, but one may sit down on antique-looking stools at the mahogany counter. The setup, along with the vintage photos on the walls, allow for an archaic air to emanate throughout, recalling a time when such family businesses dominated our cityscape (ah, nostalgia).
The coffee, I’m told, is some of the District’s best. The teas are standard middle-high-end brands, decent enough to spend money on if I were passing by. For all the sentimental rusticity, I couldn’t imagine getting too comfortable and working long hours inside, and only luck will assure a seat. You could settle on the metal chairs outside, amid the less-than-marvelous setting.
But the products should taste good. Not a hangout, surely, but a superior option to Starbuck’s for coffee on lunch break or during the commute.

Soho Tea & Coffee – 2150 P St. NW – A ways west from Dupont Circle on P Street, Soho boasts the roomiest shop, with the most seating, that I’ve visited so far. Interesting art and old Charlie Chaplin movie posters decorate the walls. There used to be couches in the corner, but more ordinary seating supplanted those, to accommodate more people – a bittersweet addendum, since the chairs are none too comfortable, but the place can crowd up on weekends.
To my knowledge, the best selection of teas, and by far the most multicultural in the city. Here I first tasted Assam and Zimbabwe, both excellent. Prices seem steep, but I couldn’t ask for more voluminous mugs. I haven’t yet tasted the sandwiches. The pastries and sweets are decent – once when I ordered two (cherry and lemon something-or-others), I found them difficult to finish. According to a sign at the counter, they demand a $5 minimum charge to use their wireless service. Understandable notion, but it seems pretty draconian. Yelp commentators are certainly unhappy about it.
Despite these minute shortcomings, Soho has become my regular haunt. Proximity helps, and as an unemployed college student I can settle there at times when it’s nearly empty. The staff stays warm and unobtrusive, and the music, ranging from jazz to 90s pop, never gets distracting. I’ve read, worked and met people here, and my taste buds have been satisfied. A fine environment all around.

Soon I’ll venture out of the northern quadrants, and hopefully across the river, to investigate two of three more coffee shops to wind up this series. Check back for write-ups two very new establishments in two promising neighborhoods.

Up next: Hogate’s Café, Big Chair and Bourbon

No comments:

Post a Comment